Digital Refractometer for Brix Measurement in Food$180.00
Accurately report the sugar content of aqueous food solutions as % Brix with the HI96801 Digital Refractometer. Simple two button operation and 1.5 second response time make this digital refractometer the obvious choice for Brix measurement in foods. The sealed flint glass prism and stainless steel well are easy to clean and all readings are temperature compensated.
- Sample size as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
- Sealed stainless steel well with high-grade optical prism made of flint glass
- Great for any sized food laboratory.
Thank you for your interest in our products. A representative will contact you within the next 2 hours.
The HI96801 portable refractometer converts the refractive index of a food sample to % brix. This conversion is based on the tables found in the ICUMSA Methods Book (International Commission for Uniform Methods of Sugar Analysis) that documents the changes in refractive index with temperature for a percent by weight sucrose solution. The HI96801 is ideal for the analysis of fruits, energy drinks, puddings, soy milk, juices, jam, marmalade, honey, soups, jelly, tofu and condiments. The HI96801 is an easy to use tool for measuring sugar in food samples in the field or in the lab.
- Designed for food sugar analysis
- Temperature Compensation algorithms based on sucrose solution
- 0 to 85% Brix range with an accuracy of ± 0.2%
Making a % Standard Sucrose Solution
To make a Sucrose Solution, follow the procedure below:
- Place container (such as a glass vial or dropper bottle that has a cover) on an analytical balance.
- Tare the balance.
- Weigh out X grams of high purity sucrose (CAS #: 57-50-1 directly into a beaker
- Add distilled or deionized water to the beaker so the total weight of the solution is 100g.
- Note: Solutions above 60% may need to be vigorously stirred or shaken and heated in a water bath to roughly 40°C (104°F). Remove solution when sucrose has dissolved and allow to cool before use.
Example to prepare as 25% sucrose solution:
|% Brix||Sucrose (g)||Water (g)||Total (g)|
The HI96801 digital refractomer takes measurements based on a sample’s refractive index. Refractive index is a measurement of how light behaves as it passes through the sample. Depending on the sample’s composition, light will refract and reflect differently. By measuring this activity with a linear image sensor, the sample’s refractive index can be assessed and used to determine its physical properties such as concentration and density. In addition to the linear image sensor, the HI96801 uses an LED light, prism and lens to make measurement possible.
Variations in temperature will affect the density of a solution based on the compound that is present. In digital refractometry the use of temperature compensation is necessary for accurate results. The HI96801 contains a built-in temperature sensor and is programmed with temperature compensation algorithms in accordance with the ICUMSA Methods Book for a percent by weight sucrose solution.
- Calibrate with distilled or deionized water
- Sample size can be as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
- Samples automatically compensated for temperature variations
- Readings are displayed in approximately 1.5 seconds
- The dual-level LCD displays measurement and temperature readings simultaneously
- Easy to clean and corrosion-resistant
- Battery percent level remaining at startup and low battery indicator
- To conserve battery life the meter shuts off automatically after three minutes of non-use
- Easy to clean and corrosion-resistant
- Water resistant ABS plastic casing designed to perform under laboratory and field conditions.
Specification Name Detail SKU HI96801 Sugar Content Range 0 to 85% Brix Sugar Content Resolution 0.1 % Brix Sugar Content Accuracy ±0.2% Brix Temperature Range 0.0 to 80.0°C (32.0 to 176.0°F) Temperature Resolution 0.1°C (0.1°F) Temperature Accuracy ±0.3°C (±0.5°F) Automatic Shut-Off after three minutes of non-use Battery Type / Life 9V / approximately 5000 readings Enclosure Rating IP65 Dimensions 192 x 102 x 67 mm (7.6 x 4.01 x 2.6”) Weight 420 g (14.8 oz.) Refractometer Light Source yellow LED Refractometer Temperature Compensation automatic between 10 and 40°C (50 to 104°F) Minimum Sample Volume 100 μL (to cover prism totally) Sample Cell stainless steel ring and flint glass prism Measurement Time approximately 1.5 seconds Ordering Information Supplied with battery and instruction manual. Warranty 2 years
- Product Manuals