Digital Refractometer for % Brix and Potential Alcohol (% V/V) Analysis in Wine, Must and Juice$189.00
The HI96813 is a rugged, portable digital refractometer designed for sugar (% Brix) measurement and potential alcohol measurement (% V/V) of wine, juice and must. The HI96813 features a high accuracy of ±0.2% Brix and 0.2% V/V potential alcohol. All readings are automatically compensated for temperature variations according to the ICUMSA Methods Book standard and displayed within a 1.5 second response time. The sealed flint glass prism and stainless steel well are easy to clean. Just wipe with a soft cloth in preparation for the next sample.
- Sample size as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
- Sealed stainless steel well with high-grade optical prism made of flint glass
- Fast 1.5 second response time for temperature compensated readings
Thank you for your interest in our products. A representative will contact you within the next 2 hours.
The HI96813 Digital Wine Refractometer converts the refractive index of the sample to sucrose concentration in units of percent by weight, % Brix (also referred to as °Brix). The conversion used is based on the ICUMSA Methods Book (International Commission for Uniform Methods of Sugar Analysis). Since the majority of sugar in grape juice is fructose and glucose and not sucrose, the reading is sometimes referred to as “Apparent Brix”.
The HI 96813 allows the user to tailor the instrument to their specific needs based on their experience since no fixed conversion factor is universally applicable. The first conversion is based on the % Brix value and an adjustable conversion factor between 0.50 and 0.70 (0.55 is a common value).
Potential alcohol (%V/V) = (0.50 to 0.70) x % Brix
One drawback of the above equation is that it does not take into account the non-fermentable sugars and extract. A second equation is also available that takes these factors into account and can give a more accurate estimate of the alcohol content in the finished wine. This conversion is named “C1” on the meter, and uses the following equation:
Potential Alcohol (%V/V) = 0.059 x [(2.66 x °Oe) - 30] (C1)
* 1°Oe is roughly equal 0.2% Brix
The HI96813 is an easy to use tool for winemakers for measuring sugar and potential alcohol in grapes or must, in the field or in the lab.
- Designed for wine sugar and potential alcohol analysis
- Temperature Compensation algorithms based on sucrose solution
- 0 to 50 % Brix range with an accuracy of ± 0.2% Brix
- 0-25 % potential alcohol range with an accuracy of ± 0.2% potential alcohol
Making a Standard % Brix (Sucrose) Solution
To make a Brix Solution, follow the procedure below:
- Place container (such as a glass vial or dropper bottle that has a cover) on an analytical balance.
- Tare the balance.
- Weigh out X grams of high purity sucrose (CAS #: 57-50-1) directly into a beaker.
- Add distilled or deionized water to the beaker so the total weight of the solution is 100g.
- Note: Solutions above 65% may need to be vigorously stirred or shaken and heated in a water bath to roughly 40°C (104°F).
- Remove solution when sucrose has dissolved and allow to cool before use.
Example to prepare as 25% sucrose solution:
|%Brix||Sucrose (g)||Water (g)|| Total (g)
The HI96813 takes measurements based on a sample’s refractive index. Refractive index is a measurement of how light behaves as it passes through the sample. Depending on the sample’s composition, light will refract and reflect differently. By measuring this activity with a linear image sensor, the sample’s refractive index can be assessed and used to determine its physical properties such as concentration and density. In addition to the linear image sensor, the HI96813 uses an LED light, prism and lens to make measurement possible.
Variations in temperature will affect the accuracy of refractometry readings, so the use of temperature compensation is highly recommended for reliable results. The HI96813 contains a built-in temperature sensor and is programmed with temperature compensation algorithms in accordance with the ICUMSA Methods Book Standard for a percent by weight sucrose solution at 20°C. These compensation algorithms vary based on the parameter being measured.
- Calibrate with distilled or deionized water
- Sample size can be as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
- Readings are displayed in approximately 1.5 seconds
- The dual-level LCD displays measurement and temperature readings simultaneously
- Battery percent level remaining at startup and low battery indicator
- To conserve battery life the meter shuts off automatically after three minutes of non-use
- Water resistant ABS plastic casing designed to perform under laboratory and field conditions.
- Easy to clean and corrosion-resistant
- Samples automatically compensated for temperature variations
Specification Name Detail SKU HI96813 Sugar Content Range 0 to 50% Brix; 0 to 25% V/V Potential Alcohol Sugar Content Resolution 0.1% Brix; 0.1% V/V Potential Alcohol Sugar Content Accuracy ±0.2% Brix; ±0.2 %V/V Potential Alcohol Temperature Range 0.0 to 80.0°C (32.0 to 176.0°F) Temperature Resolution 0.1°C (0.1°F) Temperature Accuracy ±0.3°C (±0.5°F) Automatic Shut-Off after three minutes of non-use Battery Type / Life 9V / approximately 5000 readings Enclosure Rating IP65 Dimensions 192 x 102 x 67 mm (7.6 x 4.01 x 2.6”) Weight 420 g (14.8 oz.) Refractometer Light Source yellow LED Refractometer Temperature Compensation automatic between 10 and 40°C (50 to 104°F) Minimum Sample Volume 100 μL (to cover prism totally) Sample Cell stainless steel ring and flint glass prism Measurement Time approximately 1.5 seconds Ordering Information Supplied with battery and instruction manual. Warranty 2 years
- Product Manuals